Friday, June 26, 2015

A Day on the South Dakota Plains



…continued from “A Night in the Black Hills.”

When I woke up, I was a little wet from rain/condensation in the tent, but it could have been much worse, all things considered. I took some sunrise pictures over Horsethief Lake, packed up camp, and headed toward Rapid City.

I ate a cheap breakfast then stopped at the Main Street Square / Downtown area of Rapid City. It as a little early for some businesses, but I’d heard of a shop called Prairie’s Edge Trading Co. This was a “look, don’t touch” place for me. There were no signs saying not to pick anything up, but I didn’t want to chance it. Everything was expensive but, as far as I could tell, authentic. They work with local Native American artists to sell artwork: everything from beaded pieces to pottery to carved wooden flutes. There were three floors that included just about everything you could want: fine art, supplies (beads, leathers, etc.), a Victorian bead collection with every shape and color of the rainbow, and much more. I recommend stopping here whether you plan on buying or not. It is worth a look. I wondered into a few other random stores, then looked for a place called Art Alley that I’d heard of on Trip Advisor. When I found it, I immediately felt at home. I love and appreciate art of all kinds, but this was graffiti. Definitely my kind of scene.
 
Every square inch of this alley is covered in graffiti that ranges from basic words to detailed portraits. It made for some great pictures, edited and unedited. The next shop I wondered into, the Jaded Gypsy, had art as well. The owner rents out display space to local artists of all kinds, resulting in an eclectic mix of just about everything from jewelry to graphic design. She saw my camera around my neck and mentioned renting out space. I may have to look into it. I have a lot of Indiana pictures, something she didn’t have any of.









I was anxious to move on to my next destination: Badlands National Park. It is yet another place I’ve always heard of and wanted to go. It was a dream come true to see it first-hand. It was a bit of a drive from Rapid City (1 hour or so out into the plains). I went in the entrance near Wall, SD. If I were to do it again, I would go through the opposite way, coming out near Wall just because I feel like I started with the “Grand Finale.” The whole place was amazing, but I just feel like I went backwards. Seeing as how I finished near the gift shop, I think my guess is on the money with that. Going in, I was met with signs warning me not to mess with the prairie dogs because they have plague (Black Plague). So that was encouraging. I was also $10 or $15 to get in. Next national park I go to, I’m buying a season pass for $80. I don’t think I should have to since I pay taxes, but that’s a whole other matter. I’m buying the dang season pass. So I shelled out the entry money and left with my map. Like I said, I started with the “Grand Finale,” so to speak. It was a view of the entire Badlands for as far as I could see. I took several National Geographic-worth (if I do say so myself) panoramas from the top. I also watched some college-aged guy almost fall to his death trying to climb out on one of the formations. I think he shows up in the corner of one of my pictures, just after he fell and almost slid off.


The drive took an hour or two and had multiple viewing platforms to enjoy the scenery. It was the perfect day for it. I’ll let the pictures speak for themselves on how beautiful it was. I’ll just let you know that this, like the Grand Canyon, is a massive structure formed over thousands of years by erosion.  You can see all the different geologic layers in the pictures (red and tan layers that show in the rock). The prairie dogs had plague, so I didn’t go cuddle up to them or roll around in their “towns” (prairie dog cities), but last time I heard, plague couldn’t be transmitted by taking pictures, so I did plenty of that. The prairie dogs made it easy on me by building their towns right up to the road. Some were only five feet off the pavement. So I never even had to go off the comfort of the pavement to get some good pictures. I’ve also been informed since then that rattlesnakes like to hide next to the prairie dog towns. Easy meals. So I’m glad I stayed on the pavement.


I stopped almost every chance I got and took several great panoramas and pictures. It was desolate, barren, and intimidating. I definitely wouldn’t want to have to try to survive there. It is well-deserving of its name.

On the way to the Badlands, I’d seen more signs than I could count advertising Wall Drug. I saw just as many on my way back, so I decided to stop there. I bought some fudge, a crappy root beer float, and a nifty little fake but colorful rock. This was one stop that I made out of sheer curiosity. I guess you can say that advertising definitely worked in this case, but it’s not something I would recommend. It is overly touristy. The fudge was okay, but nothing to go out of the way for. It was neat inside because of the set up. You walk into a covered alley that has various stores specializing in different things branching off the alley. Overall, I’d say my money and time would have been better spent elsewhere.

In the beginning, the plan was to see Rapid City, Badlands National Park, and Deadwood (yes, actual Deadwood from TV and history). I was going to camp out near Deadwood, then go to Devil’s Tower the next day before heading back to Torrington. Well, I made it to Deadwood, but only stopped long enough to get cash back at a store in preparation for camping. It was already getting late, and it was cold and rainy. I 100% DID NOT feel like setting up camp and sleeping out in the cold and rain. So I plotted a route through the Black Hills back to Torrington. I’ll save Deadwood and Devil’s Tower for another day. I was happy with my return route, though. It took me through Lead and Four Corners and the Black Hills. I saw a herd of elk and stopped for a quick picture. The wonderful thing about it being so unpopulated out here is that you can pretty much just stop wherever you want on the road for a photo op. Of course, I always make sure it’s a safe spot. I’m not going to stop on a curve on a mountain, but I’ll stop on a straight stretch for sure.

So I made it home late and stayed in my nice, warm bed. Then spent Friday doing things that needed done and trying to plan for visitors!

No comments:

Post a Comment