Friday, June 5, 2015

The Big City



Cheyenne: capital of Wyoming; founded in 1867 with a population of 60,000 covering 25 square miles at over 6,000 feet in elevation; also the birthplace of Wrangler jeans…

There is a military base in Cheyenne, which was the reason for my visit, since I have a cousin stationed there. It was great to see family and have someone to show me the town. The center of activity in Cheyenne seemed to be the downtown area, which has plenty of restaurants, shops, and bars. We hit several shops, starting with the Wrangler store since it is Wrangler country.

It says a lot about me that I went into a store specializing in boots and jeans, and I came out with postcards and a clearance wooden sign. I just can’t make myself buy a $500 pair of boots that are only that expensive because an alligator died for them. Not saying whether I’m for or against it, but I definitely don’t see that as a valid reason to pay extra for it. Also, it seems the more expensive they get, the tackier they become. And they’re going to sit in the closet because I’m not wearing any pair of shoes that was $500, no matter what they’re made of. Unless they’re astronaut boots and I’m on the moon, because those are probably expensive for a reason. But I have vowed that I’m buying a pair of cowboy boots (they have be functional, though). Business on the bottom, party on the top. That way, I can wear my jeans out and look slightly dressy and presentable, or I can tuck them in and be completely outrageous. And also because I’m cheap, and if I can get one pair of shoes that does the work of two for a reasonable price, you best believe that’s the route I’m taking.

Anyway… so we went to the Wrangler store, which was worth seeing, even if I didn’t buy anything that actually said “Wrangler” on it. We then wondered around to various shops. This is again where you will see that I do not fit the mold of a “typical” girl (I don’t believe there is a standard, but some people do, so I’m going to use that standard to showcase that I’m a little weird without actually saying that). There were fancy boutiques with clothes in them, and there were outlet stores. The Wrangler store had rhinestone-encrusted belts and buckles. There were all these stores that, if you went by the definition most people accept as “girly,” I would have went into said stores. Well, I don’t, and I didn’t. I went straight for the rock and fossil shop. Then the thrift stores. Kudos to my cousin for putting up—and dare I say, enjoying?—the rocks and fossils with me. He didn’t shuffle away from me when I shouted things like “Trilobites,” “Petrified trees,” and “Onyx!” I could spend all day and all my money in a shop like that. But this one was rather expensive, so I’m proud to say that I did not spend a fortune on rocks at that store. But I did spend a lot less on the rocks in the thrift shop next door :)  It was not a mineral or fossil like I want (I WILL add fossils to my collection eventually, but that wasn’t the day for it). It’s made of sandstone. I suppose it could even be fake sandstone, but really if you turn colored sand into a sold shape then that qualifies as sandstone in my book, especially if it looks as real as this possibly-fake sandstone does… And it has a turquoise guy on a horse. Because, as much as I love authentic rocks, I love me a good tacky souvenir almost just as much. And this one involves rocks! Remember what I said about one object serving two functions for a reasonable price? Exhibit A...

We also went out to eat at Sanford’s Grub and Pub in the downtown area. I would tell you where, but I was a little lost. Google it (verb). Every square inch of the walls was covered in… stuff. Signs, pictures, etc. It was a busy, eclectic, cozy place, and the food was AWESOME! I got some sort of Cajun burger (Big Country Burger, maybe?). It said it came with onion rings, and we had mushrooms as an appetizer. When he asked me what side I wanted, I was thinking, “Well, no onion rings I guess.” Wrong. I got garlic parmesan fries as a side, and the layer of onion rings on the burger made the whole concoction over six inches thick. I don’t take pictures of food for the most part since I’m usually too busy enjoying it. This was no exception. Everything was delicious. I had to remove a few inches worth of onion rings and smash it down to be able to eat it, and even then I was struggling. And the burger was just under $10. Definitely a good deal in my book, a great compliment since we’ve already established how I am with money. Once I was done stuffing myself with the heart attack on a bun, we headed out (I starting adding some cardio into my routine the next day. Coincidence? I think not

We took a short tour over to the capital building, which had more of that beautiful red sandstone out front. You’re probably going to be hearing a lot about stones, rocks, fossils, and things of that nature, so get used to it now. By this point, it was getting late, and Torrington is about 1:15 from Cheyenne, so I started my drive back. But first I got a quick tour through all the random stuff my cousin has collected from being stationed various places. And he added to my postcard collection! Thanks, man! I also learned about this thing called Frontier Days, a week’s worth of rodeos, concerts, food, and various Western things. I believe another one of my cousins will be paying me a visit during that time, so we’ll have to check that out. If you haven’t figured it out yet, I have a lot of cousins. In fact, if you’re reading this, odds are you’re probably a cousin. Cousin or not, thanks for reading!

Oh, and here's a rainbow I saw on the way back:

 

No comments:

Post a Comment